What is student exchange?

In a nutshell, the idea with student exchange is that you go abroad to study at a foreign university, generally for one or two semesters. After that, you come back, and if everything goes well, the courses you have studied abroad will be transferred to Stockholm University and be included in your bachelor or master degree here.

The selection process

The Department of Mathematics has student exchange agreements with several European universities within the Erasmus+ programme; see Erasmus partner universities for a full list. This means that we can send 1-3 students to each university we have an agreement with, and in return we accept the same number of students from them. When you apply for Erasmus exchange position through the Department of Mathematics, you will only compete of the spot with other students from our department that are applying for the same university.

The number of students applying for Erasmus exchange studies through the department has so far been quite low. So (unless the pattern from previous years dramatically changes) chances of being accepted to the exchange programme are good as long as you fulfil the eligibility requirements, and manage to complete the application process. Of course, what might happen is that you won't be sent to your first-choice university.

When can I apply?

Application deadlines for different exchange programmes are summarized on the page Different options for math students.

How much does it cost?

Exchange students do not have to pay tuition fees for the university they are staying at. However, you might have to be obligated to pay for student union fee, insurance or similar.

Generally students continue to receive financial aid from CSN. Some exchange programmes, such as Erasmus, include a scholarship.


All outgoing exchange students are fully covered by Kammarkolegiet's STUDENT-UT insurance. But notice that some universities still require that you buy their insurance policy.

When should I go abroad?

You can apply for an exchange position as soon as you have become eligible. However, we do recommend going out a little bit further in your studies, as this generally means that it is easier to find suitable courses.

Don't be so worried about compulsory courses in your bachelor's or master's programme - concentrate more on courses that are compulsory for degree projects or bachelor/master degrees. Our study counsellors can help you with laying out a study plan so that you can both finish your programme and go abroad without extending your study period.

What can I study?

It is easiest if you study as much mathematics or mathematical statistics as possible, since those courses are easiest to transfer (tillgodoräkna). Many host universities let exchange students take courses in other subjects, although the exchange agreement is between the departments of mathematics. In order to transfer courses in other subjects, a learning agreement must be signed between the student and the department at SU that "owns" the subject.

Language requirements

Study in English

Most exchange students choose to study in English, any many of our partner universities have at least a limited selection of courses in English. We don't require any language certificates from outgoing students, but the receiving university might.

Notice that some schools require a TOEFL or IELTS test from all incoming exchange students.

Study in some other language

Not every university offers courses in English, so in some cases it is necessary to know the local language. Exchange students are not always expected to be completely fluent in the language they will study in, and many universities even assist incoming exchange students with intensive language courses prior to course start.

But as with everything else, this varies a lot between different universities. Most universities have their language requirements listed on their home pages; and if not, you can always contact them and ask.

If you want to improve your language skills before going abroad, you can take free standing courses at Stockholm University. Most language departments offer courses online or in the evenings, so it is possible to combine these courses with your math studies. Also, there's generally plenty of room for elective courses in a math degree – if you plan your studies well, you will be able to include language courses in your degree.

You can search for courses in SU's online course catalogue. (Notice that as usual, you'll have to apply for language courses by April 15 for autumn and October 15 for spring term.)

Online test for Erasmus students

Before going abroad, Erasmus students must do an online test in the language they're primarily going to study in. This test will not affect your chances of being accepted to the host university (but as the test is compulsory, you won't be allowed to go if you do not complete it). Outgoing Erasmus students will also be offered an online course in the language they will study in (or in the local language, in some cases).